Basil Cayenne Pesto Bread Wreath
1 hr 30 mins
|1 round loaf
- 2+1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Instant Yeast
- 1 cup Lukewarm Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- BLACK MAMBA BASIL CAYENNE PESTO 1/2 cup
- Pomegranate kernels and fresh rosemary for decoration
- In a mixing bowl, add flour, salt, instant yeast and mix well.
- Add oil to the lukewarm water.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture. Pour the water - oil mixture and mix well with your finger tips.
- Mix till a soft dough forms and then knead well for 5 mins till it is smooth to the touch and becomes elastic.
- Place the dough in a well greased bowl and cover with a cling film. Let the dough rise for 1 hour or till it doubles in size.
- After 1 hour, remove the cling film and gently press the dough to deflate and knead for a minute.
- Dust any work surface with enough flour. Place the dough on the floured surface and using a rolling pin, gently form a rectangle. Use your hands around the edges to perfect the shape.
- Drop the entire BLACK MAMBA BASIL CAYENNE PESTO in the middle of the rectangle dough and spread all around leaving just 2cm around the edges.
- Roll the length side of the rectangle tightly just like you roll a mat and seal the edge well. Now the dough will resemble a log.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the log into 2 lengthwise and gently turn the 2 pieces so that the pesto stuffing faces top.
- Pinch and seal the top corners of both the pieces and lift one piece over the other and plait just like a braid.
- Transfer the braided bread to the baking tray.
- Form a circle with the braid. Pinch and tuck in the edges at the bottom.
- Cover the pan and leave it to rise for 30-35 mins.
- Preheat the oven at 220 C.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 30-35 mins.
- Rest the bread in the pan for 5 mins and then transfer to a wired rack to cool down.
- Adorn with pomegranate kernels and fresh rosemary sprigs.
- Serve this braided pesto bread hot or warm.